Certificate II in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations)
he Certificate II in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) teaches students a defined and limited range of hospitality operational skills. They are involved in mainly routine and repetitive tasks using practical skills and basic industry knowledge. Students will be under guidance while studying and will work under direct supervision when transitioning into the workforce. This qualification provides different skills than is required by commercial cooks. Those skills are reflected in SIT30812 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery.
The skills covered by the Certificate II in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) include effective communication in a team environment, collecting and organising menu, recipe and procedural information to efficiently participate in operational activities in the kitchen. It teaches the skills and knowledge to undertake a range of kitchen functions in restaurants, hotels, catering operations, clubs, pubs, cafes, cafeterias and coffee shops and is a great way to launch a cooking career.
This qualification will give our students the ability to prepare and serve foods and beverages, prepare and produce appetisers, salads, vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes.
The students will also learn about workplace cleanliness, safe food handling practices and hospitality information usage.
Units of Competency
- Use hygienic practices for food safety (core)
- Produce dishes using basic methods of cookery (core)
- Use cookery skills effectively (core)
- Participate in safe work practices (core)
- Clean kitchen premises and equipment (core)
- Prepare sandwiches (elective)
- Prepare and serve espresso coffee (elective)
- Prepare simple dishes (elective)
- Produce vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes (elective)
- Work effectively with others (core)
- Produce appetisers and salads (elective)
- Maintain the quality of perishable items (core)
- Use food preparation equipment (core)
This course is offered through our consortium school:
Busselton Senior High School